It is a custom to serve Sorrel Wine with Fruit Cake for the festive season. Some folks even serve cake with a slice of cheddar cheese or pour a little rum sauce.
- Course: Beverage
- Cuisine: Jamaican
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Chill Time: 4 hours
- Servings: 8 Glasses
- Equipment: Large mason jar with cover, Cheesecloth bag
- 1 gallon of boiling water
- 3 - 5oz dried sorrel
- grated fresh ginger
- 12 grains allspice berries
- 6 cloves
- 1 orange peel
- Sugar (sweeten to taste)
- 3 cups Sangria
- Bring water to boil in a kettle.
- Place sorrel, ginger, berries, cloves, and orange peel in a cheesecloth bag .
- Place the cheesecloth bag in a glass jar and add boiling water.
- Let mixture steep for about an hour in the jar or over night.
- Remove bag from jar and sweeten to taste.
- Add 3 cups of Sangria or more.
- Serve over ice and garnish with orange and lime wedges.
(For fermentation add a few counts of rice grain to the glass jar, cover and place in a dark area or refrigerate. The drink can be prepared weeks in advance of Christmas Day)